Friday, May 28, 2010

Hair loss...

The icing on this whole not getting pregnant cake is that I'm losing my hair and there is nothing I can do about it.

Female hair loss and hypothyroidism, which is when your thyroid just runs slower than average, run in my family. I've had all the necessary blood tests to test for hypothyroidism but they all came back fine. Unfortunately, hypothyroidism is notoriously difficult to diagnose via blood tests because unlike the fact that you can't be a little bit pregnant you can be a little bit hypothyroid. So since I exhibit many symptoms and I have a really low basal body temperature, my thyroid probably runs a little slower than most.

A slightly slow thyroid in the grand scheme of things is no big deal, you have some very minor problems that you'd never even notice. Unless you are like me and you start getting the hair loss. Hair loss, is a big deal to me, I don't care if that makes me vain and shallow, I am not okay with going bald. The good news is there are lots of topical medications that should at least keep my hair where it's at now, if not even grow some of it back. The bad news is that you can't take them if your pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. So now I get to not be pregnant and not keep my hair! What a deal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment