Thursday, May 20, 2010

On the plus side...

One good thing about this whole fertility fiasco is that I really have gotten to know my body. I read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and it really was an eye opener. I would highly recommend it, and if you don't want to read a whole book just google "cervical mucus" and you can get the basics.

I had been one of those women who went running to the GYN because I thought for sure I had some scary of disease when it was just my cervical mucus signaling to me that it was a fertile time during my cycle. You'd think that the doctor I went to would fill me in on this but no, the doc just sent me on my way with a clean bill of health. Now I know that when I have all this gross stuff coming out of me that it's a good thing and through the charting I'm now able to see a pattern month to month. And what a bonus it is when I get that crazed feeling when the littlest things sets me off and I could just tear all my hair out, I can just look at the calendar and say, "Oh, that's just the PMS talking, I'm not nuts!"

I don't understand why schools even bother to do the "the changing bodies" discussion with kids if they aren't going to talk about everything that goes along with getting your period. I mean really, who can't figure out how to put on a pad or insert a tampon, they come with directions! What young girls need to know is that their bodies and all the weird things that they do are NORMAL! Perhaps I should blame my mother, but honestly I'm not even sure if she knows her body as well as I know mine now. There is one thing that I'm certain of, if I ever do get pregnant and it turns out to be a girl, when she gets her period I'm totally going there with her. She'll think it is gross and TMI but she'll thank me for it later when she knows what is going on in her own body.

0 comments:

Post a Comment