Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The power of a cocktail...

Last night I went out for a little girls night and I thankfully had a really good time! It was low key and stress free, just what I really needed. BUT of course they all wanted to know if I was pregnant yet, which is what everyone asks you if you have recently gotten married.

I was actually the first to arrive so I went to the bar and got a drink and took it with me outside to wait for the rest of the girls. I usually don't drink at all, let alone on a week night but I thought what the hell I'm not pregnant, right?! So, I'm sitting there waiting and one by one as everyone arrives they all notice my drink and say, "I guess you're not pregnant if your drinking!" Then we all laugh and the conversation moves on. I didn't have to feel uncomfortable making up some fake reason as to whether or not we want to have kids right now because no one asked me point blank whether or not I was pregnant.

The power of the visual message that one little drink sends is a remarkable thing, and I think most of the reason I had such a good time last night was because I could just sit back and let my drink speak for itself. Now excuses, no lies, no awkward conversation, just the fact out there on the table for everyone to see. Now if I can only figure out how to have a drink in my hand every time I see my mother all of my problems would be solved!

0 comments:

Post a Comment