Thursday, May 13, 2010

It starts...

Hello world! I've decided to create a blog about my quest to start a family with my husband. Partly to share my story with others who may be struggling like we are and partly (or maybe even mostly) to give myself an outlet vent out some frustration!

So, let me catch you all up to speed:

In September my husband and I decided that we were ready to have a baby. We assumed, wrongly, that since we are both young and healthy it'd be a piece of cake but now cut to May, we've had no luck and we've started the process of having our fertility analyzed. Hasn't been such a fun time for us lately.

In the beginning it was fun, making as much love as we could, waiting excitedly until the end of the month to see if I'd get my period. Then I'd get it, we shrug it off and keep on trucking. Still nothing was happening. A few months went by with no results, so we decided to start using the over the counter ovulation predictor kits (OPK's). A few more months went by and still nothing, so I started charting my basal body temperature. Now we're on our second month of temperature charting, and I've been to see the doctor and she's prescribed all the usual tests for us to start taking. So I feel like we are now embarking on the great quest to conceive!

You know how every one always says, "relax and then you'll get pregnant," well I was relaxed and I didn't get pregnant! And now, I'm STILL not getting pregnant so how am I supposed to relax?! Having sex all the time was so fun at first, then we both got burnt out and down on ourselves because we both individually felt like there must be something we were doing wrong.

The OPK's were fun in the beginning, getting little cups of pee to stick the test strips in, setting up my bathroom counter like a little science lab. But does anyone realize what a huge pain in the ass that becomes? Month after month, gross pee strips everywhere that tell you whether or not you'll ovulate in the next 12 - 36 hours. Maybe it'd be worth it if the strip said, "If you have sex in the next 5 minutes, you'll definitely get pregnant this month!" You know, give you some kind of certainty with the result.

The basal body temperature charting was even fun when we began, watching my little line chart grow and go up and down and decoding it to figure out what it all meant. UNTIL, I started waking up at 3am and shoving my thermometer in my mouth while my husband gently tried to tell his crazy wife that it is not time to wake up yet and I just need to go back to bed so that everyone can get some sleep. The waking up in the middle of the night is something that I just cannot even figure out either. I thought at first it was because I had just psyched myself up to take my temperature so I was majorly jumping the gun. But after two months of it now I think that I may just be a very light sleeper. So the second I'm awake any little bit I've programmed myself to shove a thermometer in my face. Great.

So, that's where we're at currently. I'm not pregnant, the bathroom trash is full of a million little dixie cups and test strips with pee all over them, no one is getting any sleep, I'm going for a blood test in a couple of hours and every time someone comes over I have to hide all our baby making paraphernalia because the last thing we want to do is tell everyone what is going on just so they can ask us every month if we're pregnant when so far the answer has been a big fat no!

So ladies (and gentlemen too I suppose!) follow along with me on this journey that will hopefully have a happy ending. Commiserate with me if you're feeling my pain, laugh with me at the silly things people will do to conceive a child that is desperately wanted, and give me your tips and tricks and old wives tales because I'm telling you all right now, I will do whatever it takes!




















0 comments:

Post a Comment