Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Baby names dilemma...

My husband and I are very close with my cousin and her husband, and in the beginning of this whole fiasco we actually tried to time it so we could be pregnant together. Obviously that didn't happen, so now she's due in October and wondering what the hell is going on with us because she knows we're not pregnant and she knows that we want to be and she knows I don't want to talk about it. But she's been really good about it and hasn't bugged me too much for more information, although a couple of days ago we came across another little bump in our friendship. Baby names.

They already have one son which they have named after her husband, and are now choosing names for the baby on the way. Naming the first born son after the father is a pretty popular thing to do in our family, if we did it our son would be the third and my cousin's son is actually the fourth. Now we aren't completely sold on the idea of have another Jr. running around and we have 3 names total in the running for a boy, problem is my cousin likes 2 of them and one of them is my husband's name!

So, couple of days ago she was asking me if I liked all these baby names that they are considering and I said yes of course I like them all, I'm not going to knock any of their choices. And then she dropped the bomb on me that she really likes my husband's name the best and wanted to know if we were planning on using it if we ever have a boy. So I just told her the truth, that we aren't sure, we have 3 names for boys that we like and one of them is my husband's. And then it turned out that she also likes one of our other choices as well, which really was just icing on the cake. The whole conversation just left me really bitter, but thankfully I didn't show any of that to my cousin.

After the conversation when I had time to mull it all back over, I was able to figure out why I got so upset about the baby name stealing nonsense. It wasn't that she was stealing our names, it was that we might not ever be able to have a son, let alone name him after my husband and if she named her second son the same name as my husband that would just be a huge blow to my ego. I don't want her son running around with my husband's name, the jealousy factor would just be too huge for me. I truly believe that baby names are first come first served, with a few exceptions you should be polite and ask permission to use (like someone else's junior!) and be respectful if the answer is no. At the end of the day, we should just be flattered that they'd like to name a child after my husband but I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed they have a girl because I just don't even want to revisit that conversation as I'm pretty sure the answer will always be no.

0 comments:

Post a Comment