Tuesday, June 22, 2010

NSAID's and ovulation...

So I was googling fertility issues yesterday, as I often do when I'm bored and I came upon a very interesting bit of information. Doctors and scientists have recently discovered a link between the use of NSAID's (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including aspirin and ibuprofen) and delayed or absent ovulation. I found this info on the Fertility Plus website and if you click on the title of this post (NSAID's and ovulation...) you'll go to the article so you can read more about it if you'd like. The information is pretty technical but if you scroll through it there are some articles that us non doctor and scientist types can read a little easier.

I really found this all very interesting because I get pretty bad cramps on days 2 and 3 of my period and I take regular doses of ibuprofen and sit with my heating pad to get through them. Now, some months my cramps are better than other months, and I think it is directly related to how much exercise I'm able to get in on the days leading up to my cramps, but sometimes I'm busy, I don't get to exercise as much as I want and I am stuck in complete agony for 2 days straight. I have been recording everything on my chart from basal body temp to headaches to how much ibuprofen I took and I can now see that the months I took more ibuprofen for bad cramps the next ovulation is delayed and I have a longer cycle.

I've been trying to take less ibuprofen anyway but seeing on my chart that when I took more I had a later ovulation and a longer cycle was enough to make me stop taking it completely. Of, course NSAID's and my ovulation delay could be totally unrelated to each other but do I really want to take the chance? I would kill for a regular cycle so I'll try anything! Besides you shouldn't take NSAID's while pregnant anyway, most doctors recommend acetaminophen (Tylenol) for women who could be pregnant and that is only if you have to take something. So for me it is out with the Advil, Motrin, Aleve and the Tylenol too just for safe measure. I've warned my husband that I am going to be extremely cranky and out of commission in a few days when my cramps get here but we are both looking forward to our little science experiment and hopefully in the coming months I'll be able to have a regularly scheduled cycle!

0 comments:

Post a Comment