Friday, August 6, 2010

The HSG procedure...

The title of this post is a link a great site explaining every last little detail about the HSG procedure, just in case anybody out there was looking for more info. There was only one little thing that the site left out, and something that I haven't heard anything about myself, where does the dye go after you're done? Our fabulous commenter KB has had the procedure done so hopefully she'll comment on this, but how does all the dye they injected get back out?!

I am imagining that my uterus is huge and it will take a gallon of dye to fill it up and then it will all come rushing back out when I sit up. In actuality my uterus is probably pretty small and they only put like a cup of dye in there and I'll just slowly leak it all out, but I don't know for sure! There is a great picture on the site I linked to, and I'm hoping that they'll let me take a picture of mine so that I can post it for you all to see! This is why my doctor said that all modesty gets thrown out the window.

I used to ONLY see a woman gynecologist, now all my doctors have been men and I'm getting to the point where I don't even care. I will say though that I am really glad that it was a nurse that did my day 3 ultrasound while I had my period because that was pretty messy and embarrassing. She chatted me up and complemented me on my earrings; she definitely knew what to do to make me relax a little bit and I was thankful for her. But now, one of the doctors at our fertility practice meets me in the radiology department of our hospital to perform the procedure and I have a 4 in 5 chance that it will be a man and a 3 in 4 chance that I've never met him before. This is where the modesty gets thrown out, by the end of all this multiple men (and women for that matter!) will have been all up in my business! My personality is not one that doesn't care about modesty, but I'm definitely getting used to this. I'm guessing that by Wednesday a stranger sticking something foreign into my vagina will be old hat and I won't think twice about it. Ew. I am grossing myself out. Sorry guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great post! I was (key word being was) very modest and shy when it came to other people (male or female) probing around down there...but oh boy, not now. I don't think it phases me anymore. Pretty sad! I guess child birth (if or when it ever happens) will not be such a shock for women like us! My Dr. is a male too and at first I was so embarrassed but that did not last long.
Ok, with the dye...some of it will come out while you are on the table. I had mine done at the hospital and the XRay room did not have stirups for my feet so they were on this table in a weird position. So you will feel some of it leak out during the procedure...which basically feels like you are peeing. Then after you are done, some more will come out and it will continue to come out throughout the day. You will also most likely bleed some. I bled a lot but not sure if that was normal. They will give you a pad to wear. Make sure you wear it. I hate wearing pads and never do, so after I was like oh i don't need a pad, I dont even need them for my periods...huge mistake! The dye and blood ruined a pair of my underwear! UGH! I spotted for like 2 days but the dye came out that day. It is weird seeing your uterus and tubes..they are so much smaller than I expected. But word on the street is you can be more fertile for up to 3 months after the procedure. Good luck!
~KB

Kay Bee said...

Thank you KB! I totally know what to expect now, and I will absolutely wear the pad!

Post a Comment